Click here to see extended description
KGUmusic Optimizer for practicing and playing without excessive mouthpiece pressure, the device for correcting excessive pressure, must-have for brass players, trumpeters
- Effective control over too much mouthpiece The system activates as soon as the mouthpiece is forced against the lips too hard. The air column escapes and interrupts your buzz, thus you know that you use high pressure.
- No spring, and no mess with assembling and disassembling the device. We use magnets instead of the spring, whose functioning is based on rejection.
- A wider range of setups. Unlike devices with springs, providing only 5-6 positions, the KGUmusic Optimizer provides you with the possibility to change the activation rate with each millimeter. You just need to turn it clockwise or counterclockwise to make the power of pressing stronger or smaller.
- The efficient tool for practicing and classes. Our Optimizer is intended for use during a certain time, from 10 to 30 minutes, as much as you need. Note, it’s not intended for playing during concerts or all day long.
- Useful for students, beginners, experienced trumpeters, and brass players. The KGUmusic Optimizer is an effective tool, which helps to control how you take higher notes and effectively breaks the habit of unintentional mouthpiece pressure on the lips.
The KGUmusic Optimizer is targeted at beginners and experienced brass players, who would like to get rid of the habit of applying too much pressure on the lips during playing at a higher register. We made a step change in the construction of the device by using magnets instead of the spring. One is set up in the upper part, the other – in the lower part of the device. We use magnets as they are more practical and efficient. Firstly, they don't rot with time. Unlike spring, they are not affected by moisture (saliva, condensation) so much. Secondly, the magnets allow you to easily change the activation rate of the device by turning it clockwise or counterclockwise. In this simple way, you can make the power of pressing stronger or smaller.
Our device is designed only for practicing and identifying your feelings at the moment when you apply too much strength. Focusing on your feeling you can train yourself to take high notes without high pressure. The KGUmusic Optimizer is placed between the tube and the mouthpiece. When you place it on your trumpet, the length of the lead pipe changes, and the musical tuning also changes. That’s why it’s not a good idea to use our Optimizer at concerts, during playing with the backing track, or practicing all day long.
The KGUmusic Optimizer helps to control how you take higher notes and how much pressure you use. It activates as soon as you apply more pressure than required. Breaking the habit of putting high pressure on the lips will help you to avoid lip injuries, bloody wounds, and necrosis. As almost every musician faces the challenge of excessive mouthpiece pressure at a certain moment of their career, this device is useful both for beginners and professionals.
How does the KGUmusic Optimizer work and why is it useful for brass players?
As you know, the sound of a brass instrument comes from a vibrating column of air. This air column is created by the musicians by buzzing the lips while blowing air through the mouthpiece. This vibrating air resonates inside the trumpet and results in the beautiful sound we like. As the trumpeters use only three finger buttons, they must put some strength to produce a variety of notes. The muscles take a totally different position when we play in a lower, middle, or upper register. Therefore, it demands a different amount of strength. The higher and louder the notes, the greater pressure is required.
Virtually all musicians face the challenge of excessive mouthpiece pressure on the lips when they play higher notes. As the result, after concerts and classes, which last about 2 hours or so, it's easy to notice the red mouthpiece mark on the lips.
Such regular unintentional actions of applying more pressure than required result in many unpleasant and sometimes very serious problems:
- lip injuries which accompany the musicians during all their careers;
- the partial necrosis of the lip muscles because of the lack of oxygen;
- bloody wounds and calluses on the lips;
The KGUmusic Optimizer helps to identify the position when such fragile parts of your body are protected from harm. It helps to control the way you take higher notes and avoid high pressure on the lips. Practicing with this device, you will learn your feelings at the moment when you press the mouthpiece hard and later you will use this experience during playing the trumpet without the Optimizer.
How does it work?
The functioning of our device is based on the rejections of two magnets. No spring, no rings, and other stuff that steals your time. Place the device on your trumpet between the tube and the mouthpiece. Note, that you can easily set it up in order to make the power of pressing stronger or smaller and change the activation rate – just turn the device clockwise or counterclockwise, done.
If you hold the device in a static position, in other words, if you don’t press the mouthpiece too hard, the device lets the air column come through the trumpet. But as long as you use the excessive pressure, the system activates, the air comes through the trumpet no more, and it starts to escape and interrupts your buzz. You get a kind of alert about something going wrong.
The Optimizer by KGUmusic is a simple and effective way for getting rid of the reflex action of pressing the mouthpiece too hard at the high notes. Thus, you can avoid the risk of injured lips, bloody wounds, and red marks that spoil your appearance. Playing music should not go hand in hand with damage and pain. The KGUmusic Optimizer is the best solution for improving your technique.